Vice President, Total Rewards
WHO WE ARE:
Freedom Financial Network is a family of companies that takes a people-first approach to financial services, using technology to empower consumers to overcome debt and create a brighter financial future. The company was founded in 2002 by Brad Stroh and Andrew Housser on the belief that by staying committed to helping people, you can ensure better financial outcomes for both the customer and the business. This Heart + $ philosophy still guides the vision of our growing company, which has helped millions of people find solutions for their financial needs.
What began with 2 people in a spare bedroom has now rapidly expanded to a vibrant business that employs over 2,200 employees (known internally as The Freedom Family) in two locations: San Mateo, CA and Tempe, AZ. When you visit either of our offices, you’ll understand why our employees have voted us the Best Place to Work for the last several years. It’s a place where the Heart + $ philosophy continues to thrive, where we believe that success is only achieved by doing what’s right for our customers, our employees, and our communities.
In order to create brighter futures for our clients, employees, and businesses, Freedom Financial Network holds itself to four core values that have grown out of our Heart + $ philosophy: to care for everyone around us, act with integrity every time, collaborate with everybody we work with, and get better at what we do every day.
The Vice President, Total Rewards at Freedom will design and develop the strategy, programs, plans, and policies for executive compensation, sales incentive compensation, broad based compensation for both exempt and non-exempt employees, benefits, and mobility. This leader will have the opportunity to build a de novo Total Rewards team and will be responsible for developing and implementing industry leading compensation and benefits programs to ensure that Freedom continues to attract and retain top talent. Additionally, this person will serve as a member of Freedom’s Compensation Committee and be an important advisor to the Co-CEO’s, Chief Financial Officer, and SVP of Human Resources and will be influential in shaping business decisions in all areas relevant to Total Rewards.
At the core of the VP’s mandate will be to continue to elevate Freedom’s performance-based compensation strategy to support the company’s continued growth, M&A integration, and competition for talent. This leader will work alongside their team to operationalize that strategy and ensure it is embraced broadly across the organization. In order to fulfill the strategic and operational mandate for this role, the VP must excel at recruiting and mentoring future leaders on the Total Rewards side in order to build a high performing team that will add to the bench strength of the HR organization.
- Lead the company’s Total Rewards function and contribute to the creation and structuring of Freedom’s Compensation Committee
- Design, implement, communicate, and administer Freedom’s compensation and benefits programs including but not limited to hourly pay, base pay, monthly and annual incentives, sales incentive compensation, long-term equity incentives, executive compensation, insurance programs, retirement plans, etc.
- Lead communication efforts to ensure that managers and employees understand Freedom’s Total Rewards philosophy and programs
- Support strong employee engagement through developing total rewards strategies to attract and retain talent in highly competitive markets.
- Create a compelling and innovative benefits package that meets Freedom’s needs
- Proactively review compensation and benefits matters, market trends, benchmarking, retention, and performance indicators and recommend enhancements to Freedom’s Total Rewards programs to drive improved workforce performance across the business
- Prepare and present analyses, materials, and recommendations to senior leadership and the Compensation Committee
- Engage effectively, proactively, and thoughtfully with the Board of Directors
- Lead Freedom’s job architecture program, ensuring that all salary programs, merit budgets, and salary structures have market pricing at their core and are aligned with Freedom’s philosophy and strategic objectives
- Lead the total rewards annual planning processes in collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer for compensation and benefits (merit, annual incentive, equity grants, etc.) and ensure that significant risks and opportunities are articulated and highlighted
- Manage third party relationships relevant to executive compensation and employee benefits; ensure appropriate service levels are being delivered to improve service offerings and/or reduce costs
- Minimum 10 to 15 years prior professional work experience with demonstrated achievement and leadership in HR, Finance, and/or Operations/Service-oriented environment
- Top tier analytical skills, detail-oriented, and data driven
- Pay for performance compensation philosophy
- Strong business acumen and strategic orientation; ability to link business objectives and results to Freedom’s Total Rewards philosophy
- Executive experience on a compensation committee
- Experience with mergers and acquisitions
- Strong understanding and applied knowledge of organizational design principles
- Experience developing high functioning total rewards teams
- Fully knowledgeable in all relevant areas of compliance including emerging legislation
- Strong comfort level developing, communicating, and implementing de novo programs and processes in a high-growth environment
- Self-directed but also collaborative with employees of all levels; a “builder” with the expertise to hit the ground running and the leadership skills to influence and quickly establish credibility
- A proven mentor and coach, who knows how to build and develop a high functioning total rewards team
- A high energy level, a hands-on management style, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent collaborative interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in related area
- Demonstrated an ability to work in a complex organization where the leader values and seeks the input of others
CULTURAL FIT (Our Core Values):
- Care (for everyone): We show compassion and contribute to the well-being and growth of those around us. We only pursue products that improve the financial lives of our clients.
- Act with Integrity (every time): We take the right action even when it is hard and even when no one is watching. We treat our employees, clients, and communities the way they wish to be treated.
- Get Better (every day): We innovate, iterate, and improve each day. We are creative, take thoughtful risks, and ultimately learn and recover from failures.
- Collaborate (with everybody): We strive to work together toward a common purpose by proactively sharing information and inviting participation. We recognize the perspective of various groups and embrace healthy, constructive debate.
Attention Agencies & Search Firms: We do not accept unsolicited candidate resumes or profiles. Please do not reach out to anyone within Freedom Financial Network (FFN) to market your services or candidates. All inquiries should be directed to Talent Acquisition only. We reserve the right to hire any candidates sent unsolicited and will not pay any fees without a contract signed by FFN’s Talent Acquisition leader.
Job Reference #: olAcafw1