Sr. Director of Compliance
WHO WE ARE:
Freedom Financial Network is a family of companies that takes a people-first approach to financial services, using technology to empower consumers to overcome debt and create a brighter financial future. The company was founded in 2002 by Brad Stroh and Andrew Housser on the belief that by staying committed to helping people, you can ensure better financial outcomes for both the customer and the business. This Heart + $ philosophy still guides the vision of our growing company, which has helped millions of people find solutions for their financial needs.
What began with 2 people in a spare bedroom has now rapidly expanded to a vibrant business that employs over 2,200 employees (known internally as The Freedom Family) in two locations: San Mateo, CA and Tempe, AZ. When you visit either of our offices, you’ll understand why our employees have voted us the Best Place to Work for the last several years. It’s a place where the Heart + $ philosophy continues to thrive, where we believe that success is only achieved by doing what’s right for our customers, our employees, and our communities.
In order to create brighter futures for our clients, employees, and businesses, Freedom Financial Network holds itself to four core values that have grown out of our Heart + $ philosophy: to care for everyone around us, act with integrity every time, collaborate with everybody we work with, and get better at what we do every day.
We’re looking for a Senior Director of Compliance to lead and scale the Freedom Financial Network’s Compliance Management System for its industry-leading debt settlement business, Freedom Debt Relief (FDR). Based in Tempe, AZ, this individual will report to the General Counsel and contribute to a strong and innovative compliance and risk management culture. This leadership role is responsible for focusing on regulations impacting our debt settlement services.
This individual will lead and oversee FDR’s compliance program and will architect, implement and maintain policies, guidelines and procedures to ensure that senior leadership, management and employees understand and adhere to regulatory and other risk management requirements. This role also provides support and expertise to advise and guide FDR, business lines and operational areas in the evaluation of effective compliance internal controls, compliance risk framework (risk appetite, key risk and performance indicators), third-party compliance risk management and due diligence, compliance audit, and other projects related to Freedom’s Compliance Management System for FDR.
The successful candidate must have outstanding communication skills, an ability to anticipate and deliver on the needs of a fast-paced and innovative business, and the flexibility to simultaneously manage a wide range of projects.
- Provide guidance to senior officers and managers on ethics, business conduct and compliance matters
- Develop and manage FDR’s compliance team
- Establish, maintain and leverage relationships with other functional areas, including the Product, Business Controls, Marketing, Sales, Legal, Human Resources and business units to direct activities to promote an effective and synchronized approach to risk management
- Supervise a team of compliance professionals
- Advise on compliance with laws and regulations applicable to financial services product lines, day-to-day corporate activities, including consulting on the design and implementation of key performance indicators, key risk indicators and business changes to provide tactical regulatory/compliance advice on regulatory requirements both individually and through compliance team and to ensure consistent framework, standards and risk tolerances are followed
- Manage FDR’s compliance framework which includes policies, procedures, and programs
- Proactively identifying and communicating deficiencies or gaps with regulatory compliance; providing guidance in the development of alternative solutions or implementation of corrective action
- Continuously evaluate both business and compliance processes and procedures to drive effectiveness and efficiencies and identifying potential control weaknesses and making recommendations to strengthen
- Track and understand the changing regulatory environment to ensure policies, procedures and key stakeholders are kept current
- Work closely with the Audit and Internal Testing team on internal reviews, review reports, and participate in remediation and corrective action as appropriate for violations of FDR policies and procedures
- Prepare for and coordinate third-party examinations, including ensuring that information requests from third-party partners and regulators are completed timely and accurately
- Partner with business leaders to ensure timely identification, reporting, mitigation and resolution and of existing and emerging compliance risks and issues
- Identifies compliance action plans that have regulatory impact on the FDR’s business
- Work to simplify the legal, regulatory, and risk management requirements that business teams must satisfy and develop strategies to support the efficient implementation of those requirements – ability to use data to support testing efforts and risk assessment; must be proficient in data analytics
- Conduct enterprise-wide risk assessments and monitor compliance risk metrics
- Oversee the development and assignment of compliance training programs
- Participate in business management, risk, new product and project meetings and provides compliance risk advice as well as ongoing information about new and changing regulatory developments
- 10+ years of relevant compliance experience in consumer financial services required, preferably in compliance, risk management, operations and/or audit roles
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills
- Solid analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Comfortable with a hands-on approach and balancing multiple, competing priorities and changes in scope / direction, all with a high sense of urgency while staying organized, detail oriented and diligent
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of financial services laws and regulations, risk management controls, internal control practices and audit concepts and techniques
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of consumer protection laws and regulations such as TILA/Regulation Z, ECOA/Regulation B, FCRA, TCPA, FDCPA, SCRA, BSA/AML, EFTA, UDAAP, and GLBA – FTC Telemarketing Sales Rules a plus
- Willingness and ability to learn new laws, rules, and regulations and interpret and apply them to FDR’s business
- Strong project-management skills, with a proven ability to coordinate across departments and functions
- Proven ability to draft procedures and evaluate internal controls
- Ability to address challenging issues while remaining objective and independent
- Experience conducting compliance monitoring and testing
- Collaborative, able to influence, negotiate and solve problems with business partners and expert teams across the organizational lines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter, with the ability to follow through on matters and bring them to resolution in a timely and reasonable manner
- Professional certifications(s) such as Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM), Certified Risk Professional (CRP), Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS), Certified Information Privacy Professional, or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus
CULTURAL FIT (Our Core Values):
- Care (for everyone): We show compassion and contribute to the well-being and growth of those around us. We only pursue products that improve the financial lives of our clients.
- Act with Integrity (every time): We take the right action even when it is hard and even when no one is watching. We treat our employees, clients, and communities the way they wish to be treated.
- Get Better (every day): We innovate, iterate, and improve each day. We are creative, take thoughtful risks, and ultimately learn and recover from failures.
- Collaborate (with everybody): We strive to work together toward a common purpose by proactively sharing information and inviting participation. We recognize the perspective of various groups and embrace healthy, constructive debate.
WHY JOIN THE FREEDOM FAMILY?
- Fast, continued growth – there’s a lot of opportunity for advancement
- Voted a Phoenix Best Place to Work 9 times by our employees including the #1 spot for 2 years in a row!
- Benefits start within 30 days
- 401k with employer match
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation (increased with tenure)
- 9 paid holidays & 5 sick days
- Paid time off for volunteer work and on your birthday
Attention Agencies & Search Firms: We do not accept unsolicited candidate resumes or profiles. Please do not reach out to anyone within Freedom Financial Network (FFN) to market your services or candidates. All inquiries should be directed to Talent Acquisition only. We reserve the right to hire any candidates sent unsolicited and will not pay any fees without a contract signed by FFN’s Talent Acquisition leader.