Software Engineering Manager (Platform Business)*
Freedom Financial Network is a family of companies that takes a people-first approach to financial services, using technology to empower consumers to overcome debt and create a brighter financial future. The company was founded in 2002 by Brad Stroh and Andrew Housser on the belief that by staying committed to helping people, you can ensure better financial outcomes for both the customer and the business. This Heart + $ philosophy still guides the vision of our growing company, which has helped millions of people find solutions for their financial needs.
What began with 2 people in a spare bedroom has now rapidly expanded to a vibrant business that employs over 2300 employees (known internally as The Freedom Family) in two locations: San Mateo, CA and Tempe, AZ. When you visit either of our offices, you’ll understand why our employees have voted us the Best Place to Work for the last several years. It’s a place where the Heart + $ philosophy continues to thrive, where we believe that success is only achieved by doing what’s right for our customers, our employees, and our communities.
In order to create brighter futures for our clients, employees, and businesses, Freedom Financial Network holds itself to four core values that have grown out of our Heart + $ philosophy: to care for everyone around us, act with integrity every time, collaborate with everybody we work with, and get better at what we do every day.
Our Platform team continuously delivers reliable and scalable core services that make up the building blocks for most of our products. We also drive the leveraging of new technologies (Go (Golang), Kubernetes, and Cloud Infrastructure) across the company.
As part of our Platform Architecture Team, you will help build new services that are shared across the Freedom Financial Network Companies. An opportunity to participate in the design, architecture, development, and deployment of these new services (end-to-end) aimed at solving complex engineering problems that will benefit multiple teams across all of Freedom’s products. You will find here a highly productive, collaborative, and innovative environment where your voice is heard.
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will lead a cross-disciplinary agile development team(s) and take responsibility for delivering high-quality software that drives value for the business.
In this role, you will have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own code but make sure engineers are able to optimize theirs. As a Software Engineering Manager, you will manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. You are expected to operate with scale and speed. Our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you will guide the way.
- Provide technical leadership, mentoring, coaching, career development, and feedback for team members
- Establish priorities and set expectations and accountability for members of the development team
- Foster an engaging and collaborative environment within and among teams
- Hire talented engineers that will thrive in this collaborative environment
- Help create and follow a technology vision, roadmap, and process
- Promote sound engineering practices through example and mentorship
- Work closely with the Product team and business stakeholders to understand and improve KPIs
- 7+ years' experience in software development and delivery
- 3+ years' experience building, leading, managing, and mentoring high-performance engineering teams
- Experience with languages like Go, Java, or C++
- Key technologies this role will employ: Go (Golang), Kubernetes, GCP, Kafka, Swagger
- Experience with cloud-based large scale distributed systems and enterprise software development
- Experience with product roadmap planning, prioritization with product management
- Experience with communicating complex topics to stakeholders and business executives alike
- Being hands-on by contributing code weekly (outside the critical path) to stay connected with the team and their experience
- Reviewing code to ensure high coding standards are met
- Demonstrated experience with microservice architecture
- Ability to motivate and mentor junior members of the team
CULTURAL FIT (Our Core Values):
- Care (for everyone): We show compassion and contribute to the well-being and growth of those around us. We only pursue products that improve the financial lives of our clients.
- Act with Integrity (every time): We take the right action even when it is hard and even when no one is watching. We treat our employees, clients, and communities the way they wish to be treated.
- Get Better (every day): We innovate, iterate, and improve each day. We are creative, take thoughtful risks, and ultimately learn and recover from failures.
- COLLABORATE (with everybody): We strive to work together toward a common purpose by proactively sharing information and inviting participation. We recognize the perspective of various groups and embrace healthy, constructive debate.