Manager, Data Engineering
Manager, Data Engineering
WHO WE ARE:
Freedom Financial Network is a family of companies that takes a people-first approach to financial services, using technology to empower consumers to overcome debt and create a brighter financial future. The company was founded in 2002 by Brad Stroh and Andrew Housser on the belief that by staying committed to helping people, you can ensure better financial outcomes for both the customer and the business. This Heart + $ philosophy still guides the vision of our growing company, which has helped millions of people find solutions for their financial needs.
What began with 2 people in a spare bedroom has now rapidly expanded to a vibrant business that employs over 2,500 employees (known internally as The Freedom Family) in two locations: San Mateo, CA and Tempe, AZ. When you visit either of our offices, you’ll understand why our employees have voted us the Best Place to Work for the last several years. It’s a place where the Heart + $ philosophy continues to thrive, where we believe that success is only achieved by doing what’s right for our customers, our employees, and our communities.
In order to create brighter futures for our clients, employees, and businesses, Freedom Financial Network holds itself to four core values that have grown out of our Heart + $ philosophy: to care for everyone around us, act with integrity every time, collaborate with everybody we work with, and get better at what we do every day.
As a Manager, Data Engineering with Freedom Financial Network, this position will report to the Director of Data Engineering, but will work closely with a strong Engineering team comprised of BI Engineers, Data Engineers, and others. We are building a BI platform to provide a single and consistent source of truth in a fast-growing organization, and will do so with:
- Best in breed technology – Google Big Query & Tableau
- Small, smart team of engineers and analysts
- Well executed dashboards, self-service modules, alerting and real-time monitoring tools
- Evangelizing the incremental business value to aid platform adoption
As Manager of our Data Engineering team, you are bright, responsible, self-motivated, confident, and get stuff done. You are a problem solver who has the skill and experience to take large datasets and build the tools, processes, and systems to translate that data into actionable business decisions. You must be willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done while ensuring that we’re building a scalable system for the future of Freedom Financial Network and our customers. We’re looking for someone who prides themselves on anticipating problems, looking beyond immediate issues and taking the initiative to improve both our software and our development infrastructure.
- Design and model data structures to support daily, operational and ad hoc reporting
- Lead/ expand/ coach a team of data engineers
- Own and support production data warehouse objects
- Participate in daily scrums and work with data engineers to ensure data availability
- Effectively manage your time and lead platform development efforts for the line of business
- 3+ years experience in managing a team of Data Engineers.
- 3+ years of experience being the technical lead across a broad range of data systems, architecture, and application components & processes across the entire data value chain - including data warehouses, data lakes, big data, ETL, data modeling, database administration, security, user interface, reporting & analysis etc.
- Experience in implementing a data management strategy across large organizations globally.
- 5+ years experience in a Data Engineering oriented role.
- 6+years’ experience in developing and maintaining BI solutions.
- 4+ years’ experience in building and enhancing data warehouses.
- Strong data modeling skills. Good understanding and experience in building star schema and denormalized data structures.
- Report authoring experience. Working knowledge of reporting tools like Tableau, Looker, SSRS, Business Objects etc.
- Strong SQL skills, ideally experienced with Google Big Query
- 4+ years’ experience implementing ETL.
- Ability to translate business questions to technical specifications.
- Strong communication skills
- Bachelors degree in a computer science, statistics, analytics or related field
- Ideally someone who has a Masters degree in a computer science, statistics, analytics or related field
CULTURAL FIT (Our Core Values):
- Care (for everyone): We show compassion and contribute to the well-being and growth of those around us. We only pursue products that improve the financial lives of our clients.
- Act with Integrity (every time): We take the right action even when it is hard and even when no one is watching. We treat our employees, clients, and communities the way they wish to be treated.
- Get Better (every day): We innovate, iterate, and improve each day. We are creative, take thoughtful risks, and ultimately learn and recover from failures.
- Collaborate (with everybody): We strive to work together toward a common purpose by proactively sharing information and inviting participation. We recognize the perspective of various groups and embrace healthy, constructive debate.
WHY JOIN THE FREEDOM FAMILY?
- Fast, continued growth – there’s a lot of opportunity for advancement
- Voted a Phoenix Best Place to Work 9 times by our employees including the #1 spot for 2 years in a row!
- Benefits start within 30 days
- 401k with employer match
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation (increased with tenure)
- 9 paid holidays & 5 sick days
- Paid time off for volunteer work and on your birthday
Attention Agencies & Search Firms: We do not accept unsolicited candidate resumes or profiles. Please do not reach out to anyone within Freedom Financial Network (FFN) to market your services or candidates. All inquiries should be directed to Talent Acquisition only. We reserve the right to hire any candidates sent unsolicited and will not pay any fees without a contract signed by FFN’s Talent Acquisition leader.