Internal Controls Specialist
WHO WE ARE:
Freedom Financial Network is a family of companies that takes a people-first approach to financial services, using technology to empower consumers to overcome debt and create a brighter financial future. The company was founded in 2002 by Brad Stroh and Andrew Housser on the belief that by staying committed to helping people, you can ensure better financial outcomes for both the customer and the business. This Heart + $ philosophy still guides the vision of our growing company, which has helped millions of people find solutions for their financial needs.
What began with 2 people in a spare bedroom has now rapidly expanded to a vibrant business that employs over 2000 employees (known internally as The Freedom Family) in two locations: San Mateo, CA and Tempe, AZ. When you visit either of our offices, you’ll understand why our employees have voted us the Best Place to Work for the last several years. It’s a place where the Heart + $ philosophy continues to thrive, where we believe that success is only achieved by doing what’s right for our customers, our employees, and our communities.
In order to create brighter futures for our clients, employees, and businesses, Freedom Financial Network holds itself to four core values that have grown out of our Heart + $ philosophy: to care for everyone around us, act with integrity every time, collaborate with everybody we work with, and get better at what we do every day.
Freedom is seeking an Internal Controls Specialist for the Center of Excellence (COE) controllership team. The COE is a dynamic team that supports accounting operations across all business units performing technical accounting research, internal control for financial reporting (ICFR), governance, financial reporting, financial reviews and special projects. Our ideal candidate will bring his/her accounting expertise to build and scale processes for best in class performance supporting the growth of the company.
- Builds, documents, and tests internal controls across critical systems and accounting operations.
- Documents results of tests of internal controls for reporting to stakeholders and work together with stakeholders to develop remediation plans as needed.
- Performs financial reporting risk assessment and document mitigating controls/control activities.
- Supports year-end and interim audits performed by independent auditors.
- Documents and maintains accounting policy and procedures.
- Supports implementation of GAAP.
- Navigates complex accounting topics supporting technical policy research and memorandums.
- Oversees in partnership with the Financial Transformation Team the ERP system ensuring financial integrity.
- Lead special projects covering process optimization, implementations and integrations.
- CPA or CIA required, MBA plus
- 3+ years of public audit or internal audit experience
- Familiarity with technical accounting topics and COSO Internal Control Framework
- Advanced excel and documentation skills
- Financial services industry experience a plus
CULTURAL FIT (Our Core Values):
- Care (for everyone): We show compassion and contribute to the well-being and growth of those around us. We only pursue products that improve the financial lives of our clients.
- Act with Integrity (every time): We take the right action even when it is hard and even when no one is watching. We treat our employees, clients, and communities the way they wish to be treated.
- Get Better (every day): We innovate, iterate, and improve each day. We are creative, take thoughtful risks, and ultimately learn and recover from failures.
- COLLABORATE (with everybody): We strive to work together toward a common purpose by proactively sharing information and inviting participation. We recognize the perspective of various groups and embrace healthy, constructive debate.
WHY JOIN THE FREEDOM FAMILY?
- Fast, continued growth - there’s a lot of opportunity for advancement
- Voted a Best Place to Work multiple times by our employees, most recently #1 in Phoenix for the 2nd year in a row!
- 401k with employer match
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation (increased with tenure)
- 10 paid holidays & 5 sick days
- Paid time off for volunteer work and on your birthday
This is your opportunity to be part of a growing company where dedicated professionals strive to help customers and each other succeed every day. If that sounds exciting, we want to talk to you. Apply today!
Attention Agencies & Search Firms: We do not accept unsolicited candidate resumes or profiles. Please do not reach out to anyone within Freedom Financial Network (FFN) to market your services or candidates. All inquiries should be directed to Talent Acquisition only. We reserve the right to hire any candidates sent unsolicited and will not pay any fees without a contract signed by FFN’s Talent Acquisition leader.