Corporate Counsel - Attorney
Are you interested in joining a rapidly growing, mission-based company in the dynamic FinTech space? Are you looking to apply your expertise in financial transactions while learning new skills and expanding your horizons?
Freedom Financial offers an expanding suite of innovative products designed to help place debt-burdened consumers on the road to financial independence. We seek a curious and motivated attorney with expertise in consumer finance and financial transactions who has the desire to learn our businesses and new areas of law and the flexibility to work on a broad variety of matters. The successful candidate will report to our Associate General Counsel and support our rapidly growing finance team and award-winning capital markets team.
- Support Freedom’s rapid growth by partnering with business and finance leaders to identify and execute on financing and acquisition opportunities.
- Work with business partners to review and negotiate a broad range of contracts, including contracts with Freedom’s bank partners and investors.
- Partner with Freedom’s award-winning capital markets team and its investment fund on an array of sophisticated finance transactions, including asset-backed securitizations and warehouse financings.
- Work side-by-side with the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel to support corporate governance for the Freedom businesses, including quarterly board meetings.
- Continually monitor the legal and regulatory environment to identify potential risks and partner with business leaders to mitigate those risks.
- The preferred candidate would work out of our San Mateo, California, or Tempe, Arizona office, but remote opportunities will be considered.
- A curious mind eager to learn about our businesses and develop expertise in new and unfamiliar areas of law.
- Dedication to Freedom’s mission to offer innovative products that help ordinary Americans improve their finances.
- A business and solution-oriented approach to resolving issues and desire to collaborate with legal and business leaders.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial and/or financial contracts.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and analytic skills.
- with strong academic credential.
- State bar member in good standing.
- At least 3-6 years of legal experience, including law firm and/or in-house legal department experience.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE/ CHARACTERISTICS
- Experience in supporting sophisticated financial transactions, such as asset-backed securitizations and warehouse financings.
- Familiarity with investment funds and applicable laws and rules.
- Familiarity with securities laws (e.g., the 33’ Act, the 34’ Act, and the 40’ Act)
- Familiarity with consumer finance laws and regulations, including The Fair Lending Act, TILA/Reg. Z, FCRA, FDCPA, SCRA, BSA/AML, EFTA, GLBA and CCPA.
Freedom Financial Network is a leading digital personal finance company, built to help people. We do what traditional banks don’t: Put people first. We believe in treating people like humans, not account numbers. We help everyday people get on, and stay on, the path to a brighter financial future, with innovative technology and personalized support at every step. We help people control expenses, manage debt, save money, plan ahead, and make better financial decisions. By leveraging our proprietary data and analytics and artificial intelligence we offer solutions tailored for each step of a consumer's financial journey, including personal loans, home equity loans, help with debt, and even financial tools and education.
With 2,400 employees across California, Arizona and Texas, we have served more than 1 million customers, resolved more than $15 billion in consumer debt and originated $6.5 billion in loans over the course of our 20 years in business.
Driven by our core values, we’re passionate about supporting our communities and proudly awarded over $500,000 in grants distributed by the Freedom Foundation Fund and the Freedom Family Fund in 2021. We believe in a culture led by diversity, equity, and inclusion, and encourage our employees to bring their full selves to work every day. Our diversity-focused Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are open to all, whether a member of the ERG community or an ally of the group and we are a member of the Fintech Racial Equity Coalition to address and improve inequality in the fintech industry.
And finally, we take great pride in our achievements. This year we topped the list of Best Place to Work by the Phoenix Business Journal, were a top 100 Corporate Philanthropist by the San Francisco Business Times, a 2021 Most Admired Company and a Tech Company with the Best Company Culture by BestCompaniesAz, a 2021 Top Work Places winner by AZcentral and a BuiltIn Best Places to Work winner, to name a few.